More than 1,100 burglaries took place in Washington D.C. in 2017 through September 19. This number is down 26% from the same period in 2016, but it is still far too high.
The Metropolitan Police Department has issued tips on ways for Washington D.C. residents to cut down on the risk of a burglary, including how to make your home less attractive to would-be burglars. One of the most effective ways to prevent burglaries is to invest in a professional home security system.
Law enforcement agency for District of Columbia releases burglary prevention tips
As the primary law enforcement agency for Washington D.C. points out, if you can break into your home when you are locked out, then a burglar can break in as well. Most burglaries take place in the daytime and are over in under a few minutes – in other words, burglars go for quick and easy targets. Prevention is the most important step a homeowner can take.
The Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC) offers tips to guard against home burglary including:
- Keep doors and windows locked: Make sure door and window locks are strong and effective. Dead bolts are more effective than knob locks. Windows can be locked with window locks or with a removable nail inserted in the frame.
- Keep your house key: Do not leave your house key with auto service personnel, car valets, or others with whom you may leave your car keys.
- Check all home doors: Doors should be tight-fitting, made of metal or solid wood, and allow those inside to see who is outside without opening the door.
- Light up your property: Install bright outdoor lighting and keep shrubs pruned to expose anyone entering by the doors or windows.
- Don’t “abandon” your home: When traveling, make the house appear occupied by setting lights on a timer and prevent the mail from piling up.
Security camera installation is best defense against home burglary
Residential security cameras serve the dual purpose of discouraging criminal acts and capturing evidence in the event such acts do happen.
Washington D.C. recognizes the value of private security cameras and offers incentives for residents, businesses, religious institutions, and nonprofits that install them on their property. It is one of many such programs offered across the country.
Free Consultation and EstimateGet Secured Now
Residents stay safe with security cameras in Washington D.C.
Maryland Security Professionals is an area leader in proving customized security camera systems in Washington D.C. and nearby Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia. We offer the latest technology options along with a personalized plan to fit your budget. Call today to speak with one of our surveillance system experts and schedule a free security audit of your home or business.
Additional Washington DC Burglary Prevention Resources:
- DC Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants, Private Security Camera System Incentive Program, https://ovsjg.dc.gov/service/private-security-camera-system-incentive-program
- Metropolitan Police Department, District Crime Data at a Glance, https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/district-crime-data-glance