If you own or manage a business, a fire alarm system is a necessary component for the safety of the property as well as its visitors. When an alarm system is not in place or is inoperable, the fire marshal may require you to retain the services of a fire watch guard, such as those offered by Maryland Security Professionals. Our team of off-duty firefighters meet the highest standards of professionalism in the industry.
What are fire watch services?
Fire watch services are on-site safety functions performed by specially trained guards.
Services typically include:
- Patrolling – Perform patrols at regular intervals during shifts that cover the facility 24/7 and throughout the year.
- Identifying hazards – Look for conditions that increase fire risk so that they can be addressed before a problem arises.
- Keeping logs – Keep thorough records of patrols and any information relevant to fire risk, such as any hazards encountered. Logs are often required by the authorities and by insurance companies.
- Checking equipment – A fire watch guard may be retained when the fire monitoring system is not fully functional, but a trained fire watch guard can check on the condition and functionality of the alarms and fire suppression equipment that is available on-site.
- Contacting the fire department – If a fire does break out, the fire watch guard will contact the fire department and provide all relevant information.
Though fire watch guards are not in the business of actually putting out a fire, they will help minimize damage in the event a fire does break out.
When is a fire watch guard needed?
Preventing a fire can mean avoiding loss of life, damage to property, and minimizing liability.
It may be necessary to call upon the services of a fire watch guard in any of the following circumstances:
- Construction site – There are numerous fire hazards on construction sites, especially when the buildings contain wood framing. Many local governments require a fire watch guard on site continuously until the construction is complete and a certificate of occupancy is in hand. Compliance also cuts down on fines and down-time.
- Business has non-functioning alarm system – Whether a commercial property has not yet had a fire alarm system installed or it is being repaired or replaced, local ordinances may require a watch guard on the premises until the system is fulling functioning.
- Water supply is interrupted – If the property relies on a sprinkler system, disruption to the water supply will prevent its effectiveness. A fire watch guard may be necessary to protect the property and occupants until service is restored.
- Presence of extreme fire hazards – Activities such as storing chemicals can drastically increase the likelihood of a fire. A fire watch guard is trained to minimize danger in these situations.
Professional fire watch guards in Maryland
Maryland Security Professionals provides exceptional fire watch services to businesses in and around Maryland. We hire off-duty professional firefighters, bringing years of experience to our fire watch guard service. Call today to speak with a security professional about how we can help you.
More about fire watch guards:
- Maryland General Assembly Department of Legislative Services, HB 1472: Fiscal and Policy Note, http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2016RS/fnotes/bil_0002/hb1472.pdf
- NYC Business, Certificate of Fitness for Citywide Fire Guard For Impairment (F-01), https://www1.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/cof-f01