Hiring a private investigator can have a meaningful impact on a variety of situations where facts are in question. From employee background checks to accident injury verification to family matters, the observations recorded by a reputable private eye can offer valuable insights. Whether you are making personal decisions, negotiating business deals, or gathering evidence in legal matters, the more information you have, the better choices you can make.
What to look for in a private investigator
To receive the greatest benefit when hiring a private investigator, it pays to keep the following in mind:
- Experience counts. Look for someone with experience in on-the-job scene investigation and witness examination. Other relevant experience includes a history in law enforcement, legal education, and military training.
- Reputation matters. An investigator can play an influential role in a variety of circumstances. He or she may need to gather evidence at a scene or on a site. The investigator may responsible for preserving such evidence, or be required to serve as an expert witness. If he or she is not reputable and experienced in investigation techniques, the reliability of the information received may be placed into question.
- Certification. Some states require that private detectives be certified. The requirements of certification also vary. Be sure that the investigator you hire meets the legal threshold in your state.
- One of the most common complaints that clients have about working with private investigators is a lack of communication. Before committing to work with a particular investigator, a client should make sure they are on the same page as the PI about communication expectations.
- A PI’s observations need to be memorialized in a thorough report. The report should contain impartial facts – not subjective opinions – along with dates and times of observations. The report can be made even more credible by including relevant surveillance photos, screenshots from videos and other official records turned up during the course of research.
Private investigators from Maryland Security Professionals
Hiring a private investigator is something that is typically done at some crucial juncture – a person or company has an immediate need for reliable information that has been gathered and conveyed in a professional and responsible way. At Maryland Security Professionals, each and every one of our investigators meets the requirements we recommend.
To find out more about our private investigation services in Maryland and throughout the greater Washington DC metro area, please call 410-514-8426.